History of Grayshott
Changes in population
Chronological dates of events in Grayshott
|1871||Grayshott school opened in September.|
|1873||First church services held at the school.|
|1887||First Post Office in Grayshott, Mrs. Hannah Robinson, Crossways, Haslemere Road. (now Crossways Road).|
|1889||The ‘Iron Room’or ‘Institute’ opened in Stoney Bottom at the expense of Miss James. (believed to have been located in the lower part of the garden of ‘Moss Know’ now ‘Ensleigh’).|
|1891||Iron church built at the expense of Mr. Whitaker . ( on site of present church).|
|1897||127 Pupils on the register of Grayshott school.
Church Lads brigade formed in October.
Band of Mercy formed.
Flora Thompson came to work at Grayshott post office.
Cricket Club formed.
|1898||Grayshott District Magazine first published.
Working Men’s Club ‘now open every night of the week except Saturday’ at the Iron Room , (part of Archie Moore’s site, now Tesco, Headley Road).
Annual exhibition of animals to be held at The Grange in June.
A club to be formed for young ladies who work at the laundry.
Band of Mercy show in August.
Foundation stone laid for the present St. Luke’s church.
First resident police constable in Grayshott.
The following were in existence during 1898:
Grayshott Provident Club.
Grayshott Dramatic Society.
Grayshott Choral Society.
Grayshott Orchestrial Society.
|1899||The Fox and the Pelican opened.
Lecture by George Bernard Shaw at the Iron Room on Socialism
Grayshott Brass Band formed.
St. Luke’s church opened in September.
|1900||The ‘iron church’ sold for £87 for use at Liphook.
St. Edmunds school moves to Grayshott.
|1901||Grayshott Hall rifle club formed.
Separation of Grayshott from Headley to form a new Ecclesiastical Parish.
Walter Chapman, post master, murdered his wife.
|1902||Grayshott formed as a new Civil Parish as the result of an Order by the Local
Wesleyan chapel opened.
Agnes Weston arrives in Grayshott.
Village Hall opened.
Mens club opened at Village Hall.
Grayshott and Hindhead Temperance Guild.
|1904||Main water installed.|
|1905||Consecration of St. Luke’s churchyard.
Bicycle shed built at the church at the cost of £87.
Serious outbreak of diphtheria in the village.
Parish Council purchase land at Stoney Bottom for allotments, all taken in 1906.
|1907||Fire Brigade formed, attended first fire at Tarn Moor, February 1908.|
|1909||The iron Room ( institute) sold for £17.10s. and this added to church spire fund.
Mains gas installed.
|1910||Tower and spire added to the church.
St. Joseph’s catholic church built, consecrated 1911.
Death of Miss James.
Coal club and Clothing club established.
Boy Scouts ‘patrol’ formed at Hindhead with Grayshott boys welcome,
Separate Grayshott ‘patrol’ formed in late 1911.
|1911||Grayshott and Hindhead Nursing Association announce that a resident District Nurse to be installed at Grayshott.
Yew tree planted on the Lyndon green to commemorate the Coronation.
|1912||Mission church built at Chase Plain, opened January 1913.|
|1914||War Hospital opened at the Convent in September.
Outbreak of the Great War, from October a complete list of those serving from the parish published in the Grayshott Magazine.
|1921||War Memorial dedicated on the village green.
Nurses Clinic built at School Road as a ‘Peace Memorial to the Great War’.
|1929||Death of Hannah Robinson at the age of 93.|
|1932||British Legion – Grayshott branch formed.
War Memorial moved to present location.
|1947||Superior Camp turned over to social housing, closed 1962.|
|1958||Main drainage comes to Grayshott.|