His connections to GRAYSHOTT
MACKAY HUGH BAILLIE SCOTT
The Arts & Crafts Architect
The son of a Scottish aristocrate
'Mackay Baillie Scott was born near Ramsgate, Kent in 1865 .The son of a Scottish aristocrat, he was originally trained as an agriculturist with a view to eventually running the family sheep stations in Australia but later decided to become an Architect. He was articled to a Bath City Architect and at the end of his articles in 1889, he moved to Douglas in the Isle of Man. There he set up a practice, initially working for Fred Sanderson, a local Surveyor. He also attended evening classes at the College of Art.
In 1901, Baillie Scott returned to mainland England and settled on the outskirts of Bedford, eventually moving to Brighton where he died in a nursing home in1945. He had continued to practice as an Architect and designer of furniture until his retirement in 1939 by which time, architectural designs of some three hundred houses were attributed to him together with many pieces of furniture. He was elected a Fellow of the RIBA in 1927 and served on the Arts Committee for four years from 1928..
His work had been discontinued during the First World War when he returned to Bedford for a while before moving to Bath. After the First World War he recommenced his practice in Bedford until moving a number of times to London, Haslemere for a short while, and other locations.
Unfortunately, the majority of the drawings of property designed by Baillie Scott up until 1911 were destroyed in a fire in March 1911. Then again, most of the drawings that survived the fire in 1911, plus many of those since produced, were destroyed in wartime bombing raids during the second world war.
His links to Grayshott probably arose during his period of residence in Haslemere. Two properties have to date been identified as being designed by Baillie Scott: Bede Cottage, Headley Road: This property was built c.1930 and has since been divided into two dwellings, and is now known as Bede Cottage, East and West. Boscobel, Hammer Lane, Grayshott was built c. 1932.Bede Cottage-West Boscobel
The Grayshott Estate
The other connection the Architect may have had with Grayshott was the proposal to build a very large housing estate along the north side of Headley Road, to the west of the village, consisting of two hundred and one plots. The area of this proposal included what is now Applegarth, east to the bottom of Whitmore Vale and along Whitmore Hanger, both sides of Hammer Lane and west as far as the north side of Headley Road opposite Ludshott Common. This project was known as "The Grayshott Estate". The connection with Baillie Scott is, however, rather tenuous and by no means certain but it is interesting to note that the two houses identified above are both within the area designated for the Grayshott Estate.
The area opposite Grayshott House, on the corner of the current Waggoners Estate, was occupied by the military during the Second World War. There the military operated a Searchlight Battery, this area becoming known locally as the "Searchlight Field". The temporary accommodation erected on the site was occupied after the war by a local family until about 1955 and was thereafter demolished. Also during this period the field was rented to Charringtons, who owned Whitmore Vale Farm, to grow wheat and corn on it, much needed to help alleviate post war food shortages. A little further to the east where the current Sports Field is today, the Grayshott Rifle Club had their premises, which they occupied from the end of the war until sometime during the 1950's.
It is not clear as to why the Grayshott Estate scheme never went ahead, but it was possibly due to the lack of interest by developers at that particular time, the only houses built around that period being Bede Cottage and Boscobel. It was not until the 1970's that planning permission was granted for the development of Waggoners Estate
Grayshott Village Archive
Featured Article: Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott, 1865-1945
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 @ 21:19:49 UTC in Articles
|Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott, 1865-1945 | Login/Create an Account | 0 comments|
|The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.|
No Comments Allowed for Anonymous, please register