A most successful evening was held in May at the Social Club with almost 70 people attending. I spoke about some of the larger houses and estates in the district, much of this based on the sale documents recently given to the archive. Also the J.Arthur Coe billiards trophy (more details below) was officially handed back to the Village Hall management by Peter Hatch. Refreshments as usual kindly provided by Jan and John Bebbington.
Next Friends evening will be on Tuesday 4th November at the Social Club. The subject this time will be 'Transport around Grayshott' from the horse drawn delivery vehicles, through the motor era, the Aldershot and District Bus Co. a major employer in the area and we may even find a picture or two of Sidney Jeffery’s ‘Grayshott Coaches'! More details in due course.
Following the AGM the following changes have taken place. Clive Slaughter who has represented the Parish Council has retired and his place taken by Ann Myers. We are also pleased to welcome John Hill to the team.
The J. Arthur Coe billiards trophy
Following the Friends evening last November about the Village Hall it was found that 'in store' at our hosts the Social Club was a trophy presented in 1911 to the Village Hall Men’s Club for an annual competition of billiards by J.Arthur Coe who lived at Moor House, Tilford Road, Hindhead. By good fortune the trophy has survived the closure of the club in the late 1970s. It has duly been handed back to the Village Hall where in due course it will be put on display. A minor point of interest is that the bus stop at the apex of the Tilford and Churt roads at Hindhead was always known as Coe's Corner.
Future projects and new information
The plaque to commemorate Grayshott’s involvement with the billeting of troops within the parish 1914/15 is at present being manufactured and will be displayed above one set of entrance doors to the Village Hall to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the commencement of the Great European War.
A new item will shortly appear on our website in the form of a regular feature ‘Do You Know’. Covering the district we hope it will be found of interest and bring forth more information.
Other items of local interest have come to light recently. The donation to the Archive by Derek Hoy of a plated cigarette case inscribed ‘Grayshott Military Hospital Xmas 1915'. The hospital was at the Catholic Church area of the Cenacle. Further information can be found on this website under previous articles.
Recently acquired on Ebay are two Walder photographs of the wedding in 1923 of Olive Larcome and William Diamond, the pictures are taken at the rear of his butchers shop (now the vets) in Crossways Road looking to the rear of our present post office. These photographs 'surfaced' at Clydebank, Glasgow!
Tracey Sharpe, our secretary, is keen for the Archive to expand appeal to more local people, in particular those moving to the area in recent times. We are interested in gathering more information on the history of what have become housing estates around the village. Also we would like to talk with more of our long standing residents to record more of village life.
The Grayshott War Memorial book is selling well and is available from the Pottery, Post Office, Village Kitchen Caterers and Applegarth.
Don’t forget there are always a good selection of other local history titles available including “The History of Grayshott Fire Station 1906 – 2007”, “Grayshott, and a Hampshire Village” and a good selection of other new titles about walks in the district from Jo. Smith who of course is adding new titles. All are stocked at Grayshott Pottery and now at Grayshott Post Office.
Grayshott Village Archive
Notes and News: July / August / September 2014
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2014 @ 19:36:51 UTC in Notes and News
|July / August / September 2014 | Login/Create an Account | 0 comments|
|The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.|
No Comments Allowed for Anonymous, please register